Thursday, November 6, 2008

Grim Fandango Design Doc

I've heard many good things about Grim Fandango, back in the day, but I've never actually played it. I also heard it was story driven and the game part felt more like minigames.

But they released the design doc:

http://www.doublefine.com/news.php/site/just_one_more_grim_thing/


I have to admit, it's a pretty good design doc. It seems *useful*, unlike many, many game design docs I've had to work from that were literally a 200 page brainstorm that was waved in front of the publisher to say "look, we're going to do all this stuff, so give us money"... only to be tossed aside once work on the game actually began.

Then at the very end, the publisher says, "what do you mean you're done? We've got this 200 page doc you gave us, and all that stuff is not in the game."

*ahem* "doh!" :)
~Danny

PS: note the last page of the Grim Fandango design doc :)

No comments: