Saturday, February 9, 2008

Even Loose Looks Better Clean



I've been making a comic journal and a vacation comic journal (as you can tell by the links at the top of the page). In both cases I knew I had a lot of ground to cover in a short amount of time. I needed a style that would get the point of the content across to the viewer but also something that was moderately fast to crank out. So I went with a loosely drawn Sunday comic strip style. It worked great. The looseness of the lines kept me moving and discouraged me from getting bogged down and spending 3 hours adding excessive detail to an otherwise lighthearted story.

However, one day I went back and cleaned up one of the pages and realized that it looked better. Not night and day, but definitely better. Here's an example:



I thought loose drawing *had* to look sloppy. I thought having lines meet in overlapping intersections was what made it classified as "loose drawing." However, now I realize you can still have a loose drawing with clean lines and corners. And I think it looks better. So, yes, I went back and cleaned up every page.

It's really surprising how fast a few clicks of the eraser tool can really cleanup a sketch. I'll definitely be setting aside more time to cleanup my work more often.

No comments: